The Major Crimes Unit is responsible for the investigation of incidents such as, but not limited to:
• Homicide, unnatural or suspicious death
• Aggravated assault (where the victim is likely or has a potential to die)
• Violent Sex Crime
• Major drug offense
• Shooting incident resulting in injury to any person
• Shooting incident involving a member of the Sheriff’s Office
• Arson resulting in personal injury, death, or damages of more that $1000.
The MCU also assists other agencies in the investigations of major crimes and/or crimes that cover multiple jurisdictions inside of Kennebec County as well as coordinating with other agencies outside of Kennebec County at local, state and federal levels.
Personnel assigned to MCU generally spend time looking further into cases that are assigned to them to investigate either directly or referred to them from Patrol when the incidents may need further investigation or are deemed more complex and time consuming than Patrol has time to dedicate to the incident.