If you wish to post someone’s bail you will need to come in person to the Kennebec County Correctional Facility, 115 State Street, Augusta, Maine.
You will need the inmate’s name, cash for the exact amount of bail, and cash for the the Bail Commissioner’s fee.
After your arrival at the Correctional Facility the following process will occur:
- The bail amount will be verified by a Correctional Officer.
- • Once verified, the Corrections staff will contact the on-call bail commissioner and inform them you are in the lobby to post bail.
- It should be noted, the Bail Commissioners DO NOT work for the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office and are State employees. The Sheriff’s Department has no authority or control over how long it takes the bail commissioner to arrive to perform the bail. The bail commissioners will generally provide our staff an ETA. The staff will inform you of the approximate time of arrival, but this is just an estimate.
- You can wait in the Correctional Facility lobby until the Bail Commissioner arrives or choose to leave the Correctional Staff with a contact number. When the bail commissioner arrives, staff will contact you.
- The Bail Commissioner will meet with you in the lobby of the Correctional Facility to collect the bail money and complete all required documentation.
It is unknown how long this process will take to complete as we must call the Bail Commissioner in. The Bail Commissioners are not County Employees.